Beauty Home » Aromatherapy Information » Essential Oils
An essential oil is a concentrated, hydrophobic liquid including volatile aroma compounds from plants. They are as well known as volatile or ethereal oils, or just as the "oil of" the plant material from which they were extracted, for example oil of clove. Oil is "essential" in the sense that it carries a unique scent, smell or essence, of the plant. Essential oils do not as a group needs to have any specific chemical properties in common, ahead of conveying distinctive fragrances.
What are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are as well known as ethereal oil or volatile oil. Few of the essential oils are prepared up from terpenes and oxygenated derived. Different portions of the plants are used to get the essential oil like leaves, flowers, stems, seeds, wood, bark and roots. Several oils that are used medicinally are termed as essential oils which are prepared through distillation rather than extracted or pressed.
How Essential Oils are obtained?
There are numerous ways by which essential oils are obtained and they incorporate these following methods.
Essential Oils Benefits
First of all, commonly used essential oils like peppermint, lavender and eucalyptus are distilled. Raw plant material includes leaves, seeds, wood and flowers are kept into a device on the top of the water. When the water warms up, the steam is passed through the plant material and makes the unpredictable compounds vaporized. Then these fumes get changed into a liquid and collected in the pot.
Most of the citrus peel oils are cold-pressed or expressed mechanically. Citrus-fruit oils are efficient as compared to few of the essential oils. Sweet orange oils or lemons that are the derivatives of the profitable citrus industry are as well not very costly.
- Solvent Extraction
Most flowers include slight volatile oil and their elements are very fine and are just denatured by the extreme heat used in steam distillation. Rather a solvent such as supercritical carbon dioxide or hexane is used to extract the oils.
Sometimes, the influence of pure essential oils is underrated by numerous people who use them on a daily basis. Due to the potency of certain essential oils, there are increased possibilities of generating minor and major problems of the people who are using them. It is a truth that these essential oils have no straight contact with the body.
One cannot foretell that they are 100% safe or not. The main benefit of essential oils is its usage in aromatherapy treatments in which varieties of essential oils are used for treating many ailments due to its aromatic properties. Essential oils include number of benefits are as follows .
The other additional benefits of essential oils is to care for bacterial infections, stress, anxiety, stomach disorders, burns, stings, colds and coughs, sneezes, G.U problems and other lot diseases.
- Essential oils are as well used for massage on the body and are believed to be safe. One must first of all, dilute the essential oils ahead of applying on the body. If any essential oil has high concentration level, after that that essential oil should not be used for massage.
- Essential oils include powerful fragrance that is to say why they are used for aromatherapy functions. The power of the fragrance as well specifies that the concentration level of the essential oil is as well very high. For instance - If lavender essential oil will be applied on the body in its purest form, after that one can have a rash on their skin.
- Essential oils are as well used in hand lotions which make the skin smooth and soft. This ingredient as well acts as a moisturizer for the hands.
- It contains such incredible means and healing power that uses stimulation or relaxation to the brain and as well helps in changing the state of mind. They are very powerful and be able to create a remarkable distinction when the query comes for changing the state of mind.
- These oils can be used as aphrodisiacs and are more effectual as compared to candles and very safe than incense. The perfumes made up of essential oils can be placed in any room and are just right for any event.
- These oils include the power to change the state of thinking, state of mind, the method one feels when one walks into any room and the state of cleanliness in the home.
- Essential oils are very helpful for treating high blood pressure, athlete's foot, arthritis pain and also menstrual cramps.
- When essential oil is inhaled, it proves to be helpful in treating infections and breathing problems thus improving the mental health of the person.
Risks of Using Essential Oils
- Essential oils act as an antiseptic and cools down inflammation.
- It is as well beneficial in revitalizing digestion and dull pain.
- Essential oils are as well helpful for the skin as it is normally used in number of beauty and cosmetic products.
As the essential oils are rigorous naturally; for that reason, they must not be used straightly on the skin. If the essential oils are applied directly, then they can make an allergic reaction or severe irritation. Essential oils must be combined with vegetable carrier oil and after that it should be used. Some of the ordinary used carrier oils are olive, hazelnut and grape seed oil.
An essential oil is intense hydrophobic liquor which contains unsteady scented compounds resulting from the plants. It is comes by distillation. Other mining methods to attain fragrant plant compounds contain solvent origin or appearance. It is utilized in number of products like cosmetics, perfumery, for giving different flavor to drink and food, aromatherapy, incense and in household cleaning products. They are measured to be really very important ingredients to the flavorant and fragrance industries.
Essential Oils Safety Measures
Essential oils are very strong liquids that can be dangerous if not used carefully. There are some of the essential oils which give numbers of benefits but confirm to be injurious under certain conditions. Wrong usage of essential oils normally results into destructive and unpleasant side effects.
Prior to using any essential oil on the body, one must consult the trained and practiced aromatherapy practitioner or the physician. If one is distress with whichever allergic reaction, at once stop its usage. So, one should follow these safety guidelines prior to using the essential oils and they includes .
Different Essential Oils
- First of all, one must try a little amount of diluted essential oil on any part of the skin. And after applying, one ought to keep it for 24 hours and watch for causing any reaction. If it causes irritation on the skin, then it is not appropriate for their skin and should not apply it.
- Certain essential oils must not be used during pregnancy or must not be used by those people who are undergoing from epilepsy, asthma and other health conditions.
- One should simply take these oils internally after consulting well and trained aromatherapy practitioner.
- One should not use undiluted essential oils on the skin. There are different undiluted essential oils obtainable in the market like Lavender essential oil. If these essential oils are used, it may be able to cause severe sensitivity to few people.
- When one is using the essential oil for the first time, one is supposed to make use of little quantities of essential oils only. If one drop works well, then one should not apply it in excess quantities.
- All essential oils are not apt in aromatherapy treatments. One is supposed to take the advice of the experienced aromatherapy practitioners prior to using these essential oils such as wintergreen, camphor, wormood, pennyroyal, sassafras, rue, onion and bitter almond.
- All essential oils are considered as flammable; so, one is supposed to keep them away from the fire hazards.
- One should keep the essential oils away from children or must use them in the presence of an adult. There are few of the essential oils which are considered to be secure like citrus essential oil. One should at all times treat the essential oils like medicines.
- After using the essential oils, one should not go anywhere in the sun as it can cause sensitivity in the people.
- At all times keep the essential oils away from the contact of eyes.
- After using the essential oils, one should wash their hands always.
Essential Oils Alphabetized by Common Name
Tea Tree, Common
Tea Tree, Lemon
Tea Tree, New Zealand
Essential Oils Alphabetized by Botanical Name
Cananga odorata var genuina
Citrus aurantium (Neroli)
Citrus aurantium (Bitter Orange)
Citrus aurantium (Pettigrain)
Citrus reticulata (Mandarin)
Citrus reticulata (Tangerine)
Mentha piperita v. chocolat
Top Ten Essential Oils
(6) Tea Tree Oil
(7) Eucalyptus Oil
How to Use Essential Oils in a effective way
The use of essential oils for beauty goes back to the days of the ancient Greeks, Romans and Egyptians, who learned how to extract these precious essences from plants and use them on the skin to moisturize, smooth, calm and help in healing. Myrrh and frankincense essential oils have long been valued for their anti-aging properties, as well. Use these tips to add essential oils to your beauty regimen.
Things you'll need:
Procedure to use:
- Almond oil
- Bergamot oil
- Chamomile oil
- Clary sage oil
- Corn starch
- Egg white
- Eucalyptus oil
- Frankincense oil
- Glycerin or honey
- Lavender oil
- Lemon oil
- Mandarin oil
- Myrrh oil
- Neroli oil
- Orange flower water
- Orris root powder
- Rose oil
- Thyme oil
- Witch hazel
- Step 1:
Treat your skin to an essential oil steam bath. Fill a big bowl with boiling water. Just add 4 drops each of mandarin and lavender oils for normal skin; if your skin is oly then add lemon and eucalyptus oils; and for dry skin add rose and chamomile oils. Lean over the bowl with a towel covered over your head to keep in the steam. After that stay about 12 inches above the bowl. Let the steam go through pores for two to five minutes. Dry skin with a clean towel and then go after with a cleansing mask.
- Step 2:
Create a good scented dusting powder. Begin with 1 cup corn starch and mix in 1 tbsp. Orris root powder. Choose an essential oil, like bergamot, chamomile, lemon, clary sage or rose, or a mixture that appeal to you. Gradually add 1/4 tsp. of essential oil to the starch mixture. Stir fully to incorporate the scent and then maintain in a sealed container and use with a powder puff after shower or bath.
- Step 3:
Then, Make a soothing skin toner. Just mix it with 1 egg white with 1 tbsp., glycerin or honey and 1 1/2 tsp., and vodka or witch hazel. Blend well to cut down the egg white and honey. Then add 2 drops of lemon oil, lavender oil and thyme oil. Mix well and pour into a small bottle of amber or blue glass. Use it to skin after cleansing, using a cotton ball. But stay away from the eyes. Let the skin dry before using moisturizer or makeup. Then, Store toner in a cool place and make use of it twice a day.
- Step 4:
Apply it and Refresh tired skin with this tonic, which also helps stimulate new cell growth. Always, mix it with 6 oz. orange flower water with 4 oz. witch hazel and 5 drops glycerin and then add 5 drops neroli essential oil and mix well. Pour into a small bottle or mister. Use to the skin after cleansing, keeping out of the eyes.
- Step 5:
Rub down the anti-aging oil into skin. Be ready to start with 2 tbsp. almond oil and mix in 2 drops myrrh oil, 3 drops frankincense oil, 3 drops neroli oil, 3 drops rose oil and 1 drop lavender oil. Decant into a small bottle of amber or blue glass to keep the mixture from light. Softly massage into the skin of face and neck after cleansing, just keep away from the eyes. Use this at night before bed.